Join Your Local Friends Group
Butte Valley Friends of the Library
President:Karen Hensley (530) 397-4021
- Volunteer contact: Flo Eddy (530) 397-2149
Address PO Box 992 Dorris, CA 96023
- Annual dues:
- Individual $10.00
- Tree of Life $25.00
- Bookworm $50.00
- Memorial Shelf $100
- Lifetime Member $500
- Meetings: 2nd Monday of each month
- Purpose and goals: To support the basic programs of the Library
and provide funds for additional projects.
Friends of the Dunsmuir Library
- President: Tom Johnson
- Staff Contact: Karen O'Quinn (530) 235-2035
- Address: 5714 Dunsmuir Ave., Dunsmuir, CA 96025
- Meetings: Quarterly & Annual. Open. Thank-You Volunteer Tea in April.
- Dues: $10 annually, individual membership , Honorary Member Donation $50. Memorial Shelf Donation $100.
Purpose and goals: The specific and primary purposes are to help the Dunsmuir Library serve the community and make the public aware of the services and facilities offered by the Library. The Friends also encourages gifts to the Library and stimulate volunteer service on its behalf. All funds from the organization's endeavors are used for the betterment of the Library.
Friends of the Etna Public Library
- President: Carol Williams
- Website: Friends of the Etna Library Website
- Address: P.O. Box 623, Etna, CA 96027
- Dues: $10 per year for family membership
- Meetings: Second Monday of the month, 1:00 p.m. At the Etna Library
- Goals: To promote and encourage the use of the Etna Branch Library through the promotion of literacy endeavors, increasing educational and cultural opportunities for the community and providing increased exposure to books and related materials for children and youth as well as adults. And to provide supplemental, financial support to the Etna Branch Library.
Friends of the Fort Jones Library
- President: Leslie Burkhart
Contact address or phone: 530 468-5647
Meeting Dates: Annual meeting second Wednesday in January
Friends of the Library: Happy Camp Library Association
- President: Barbara Thrasher
Contact address or phone: Box 317 Happy Camp, California 96039
Meeting Dates: 2nd Tuesday of month
Friends of the McCloud Library
- President: Pat Young
Volunteer Contact: Jowe Bravo 650-242-2367
Meetings: 2nd Thursday of Feb,June and October at 11:00 a.m. at the Library. Annual meeting held in June.
Purpose and Goals: to support the McCloud Library Programs and provide funds for additional projects. Holds annual book sale at the McCloud Flea Market, the first Sunday in June each year on Main Street, McCloud.
Mt. Shasta Friends of the Library
President: Jutta Anderson
- Annual dues: $1.00
- Meetings: 2nd Thursday of the Month 7:00PM at the Library
- Purpose and goals:The Friends of the Library is active in promoting and supporting library projects and currently funds Wednesday nights and Saturdays hours. They have an on-going book sale.
Friends of the Montague Library
- Chairperson: Ward Foster
- Staff contact person: Becky Sims 459-5473
- New Website at http://montaguelibraryfriends.webs.com/
- P.O. Box 466, Montague, CA 96064
- Meetings: Quarterly, January, April, July, October
- Dues: $5.00 per year.
- Purpose:To support basic programming and literacy,
and to provide funding for any additonal projects or needs of the Montague Library.
Tulelake Friends of the Library
- President: Jennifer Engel
Weed Friends of the Library
- President Dana Flint
- Staff contact: Shelley Green 938-4769
- Meetings:First Tuesday of the month at 5:30pm
- Dues: n/a
- Purpose and goals: To support the basic programs of the Library and provide funds for additional projects. Host ongoing library booksale.
Friends of the Yreka Library
- President: Jean Karlsson
- Annual dues: Individual $10.00, Family $15.00, Kids $5.00, Business $25.00, Bookworm $50.00 (includes free bookbag), Lifetime - $250 (includes free bookbag and name on plaque), In Memory- $250 (special plaque in library).
- Meetings: 2nd Wed of January, April, July, Oct. Booksales in April and October
- Purpose and goals: To support the basic programs of the Library
and provide funds for additional projects. Holds annual book-sales.
Siskiyou County Library Vestal Foundation
P.O. Box 117, Yreka, CA 96097
When the time is right for you to consider financial gifts to the library,
the Foundation is ready to assist you.
THE FOUNDATION'S PURPOSE
The Siskiyou County Library Vestal Foundation, formed in 1997, is a tax-exempt nonprofit corporation governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Its purpose is to enhance library services, primarily through securing and using endowments. A donation to the Foundation constitutes a charitable gift for income tax purposes. It is not the purpose of the Foundation to replace traditional funding, nor is it meant to replace Friends groups and their contributions to their local libraries.
THE FOUNDATION'S NAME
Ed Vestal, a former Montague resident, helped to establish the Foundation by leaving approximately $57,000 to Siskiyou County, to be given to a library foundation once it was established. The Foundation Board proudly honored Mr. Vestal's request to have the Foundation named after him. Income from this account is used for computers, furniture and books for the Yreka Library, as stipulated by Mr. Vestal.
- An endowment fund is a permanent investment account. As a result, the fund remains in existence indefinitely, creating a legacy for the future.
- Only the income earned is distributed, with a part of that held out to help the fund grow.
- Each branch library in Siskiyou County has an endowment fund with the Vestal Foundation. Anyone may contribute any amount to one of these funds for the benefit of that library.
- An endowment fund also exists for the County Library, to provide for needs of the entire library system.
- Expenditures from the funds are determined by the donor's wishes, by recommendations from Friends of Library groups, and by needs expressed by library staff.
- Outright gifts, instead of endowments, may also be made to the County Library or any of its branches through the Foundation.
Planned giving can be tailored to fit the intent of the donor:
- Unrestricted Funds: The Foundation is authorized to allocate gifts to any of the Siskiyou County Library branches.
- Field of Interest Funds: : Income from the fund is restricted to one or more fields of interest, such as the purchase of books, equipment or special projects. The Foundation then disperses the funds to the appropriate programs.
- Designated Funds: The fund is for a specific branch library. These are typical funds that can be established through the Foundation. There are many ways to establish endowments, and the wishes of the donor are the primary concern of the Foundation. Options for planned giving exist that provide estate tax advantages, give you an income during your lifetime, or provide benefits to the Foundation as well as your heirs. Your financial advisor can help you determine appropriate ways of giving.
In-Library Volunteer Work
There are many opportunities for people to work on volunteer tasks within the library. Some examples include: shelving, book repair, cleaning, shelf reading, etc. Please inquire with your local branch librarian to learn more about how you can help your public library.