Etna Branch Library
Search the Catalog
Web Search/Site Search
Address of the Library:
P.O. Box 130, 130 Main St.
The library opened in the summer of 1905 and Miss Jeanette Rusby served as Etna's first librarian. Miss Rusby received a salary of $15 a month. The library boasted four hundred books, fifteen periodicals, three San Francisco, one Sacramento, and two county newspapers.
In 1915, the library was moved to the second floor of the Town Hall and remained at that location for the next fifty years. In 1916 the Etna Library became affiliated with the Siskiyou County Free Library system which broadened the services the library could offer.
The Etna Lions adopted the library as a project and renovated the lower floor of the Town Hall, which had been used as the Fire Department. The Lions transformed the room into a well lighted, convenient room and the library was moved downstairs in May 1959 were it remained until the summer of 2000.
The Etna Branch Library is now located in a bright and modern building just down the street from the old Town Hall location. The library features comfortable chairs for reading and three computers for the public use. The Etna Library also offers the use of a 40-person capacity meeting room which can reserved for public meetings for a nominal charge.
The City Council meets 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month.
(530) 467-4141 - message phone.