Chemical Exposure Emergency
Resources for the Chemically Injured - Top
Free MIDI Hymns
- I leave the area which is toxic or is making me react. After a toxic exposure, using UNscented products, I take a shower, wash my hair, and change my clothes in order to wash off the absorbed toxins. I don't use any scented laundry products or synthetic fabrics. Wash the clothes separately so as not to contaminate other clothing.
- Often the onset of symptoms is sometime after the toxic exposure (usually minutes to hours) and until I had experience in this, I often didn't even relate the two events. A trip to the grocery store resulted three hours later in chills, pain, nausea, dizziness, numbness, etc. Exposure to someone who had spilled gasoline on his clothes resulted 8 hours later when I found myself going into shock.
- Many chemically sensitive people are afraid to go to a hospital since that environment is too dangerous for them and might well make them worse. However, my doctor told me that if my face is swelling up and I start to have trouble breathing, I should go to the Emergency Room at a hospital right away. Also some chemcially injured and sensitive people carry a prescribed Epi-Pen with them for emergencies like I do. You may want to ask your doctor about this possibility. See http://www.lassentech.com/eimcspro.html for a hospital protocol which might be of help.
- My doctor told me that Buffered Vitamin C (at least 1 gram, which is 1000 mg) taken right away, might help bind the histamine which is causing many of the symptoms. Another alternative is 'Emer'gen-C' (effervescent Vitamin C drink mix which is added to water) which is my favorite. You can get these items at a health food store. I take Viamin C every few hours, up to 'bowel tolerance' (the amount which is just under the amount which creates diarrhea). I can tolerate about 6 grams a day.
- Prescription or non-prescription anti-histamines often help. I take prescription Allegra as needed (once every 12 hours). A test I give myself (I learned this from a doctor) is to 'stripe' my arm. Using a fingernail from my right hand, I scratch the inside of my left arm from the wrist to the elbow. If the white line, or little white whelt, doesn't just dissapate after a minute or so, I know that my histamine levels are probably high. I've done a 'stripe' and had it last for hours when my histamine levels are sky high.
- Chlorella, a dietary supplement with many available brands, is said to bind to toxins and heavy metals and help to get them out of the body. I don't take it within a couple of hours of minerals since it would just bind to them. I know of a receptionist who spilled the copier toner all over herself one day at work. Her boss, a doctor, told her to take Chlorella. If I am in pain and can't sleep, some chlorella really helps.
- I think that 'Tri-Salts' (available at health food stores) at about 1/2 teaspoon in water is great for the nausea.
- I use 'Refresh', preservative free artificial tears for dry red eyes. A pharmacy or drugstore carries this product. A doctor once told me that even though I had tears, the chemical injury had changed their balance and that I should use these artificial tears to relieve the symptoms of dry eyes.
- Oxygen (this takes a prescription from a doctor), for 1/2 hour or more at a level of about 2.5 to 4 liters/minute seems to help me. I've read that it also helps other chemically injured people. However most chemically sensitive people can NOT tolerate the plastic tubing and masks unless they have been 'seasoned'. To season it, I soak it in baking soda and water for a week or so - changing the water/soda daily. If it is not 'seasoned', it causes me to have a severe allergic reaction (filling my lungs with fluid). There are liquid oxygen supplements available at health food stores, such as Aquagen which I take. Sometimes, all I need is lots of FRESH air.
- Dehydration can be a problem. Some chemically sensitive people use 'Alka-Seltzer Gold' in water, or Emer'gen-C in water to rehydrate. I prefer the Emer'gen-C. I hear that water is also used to dilute the poisons.
- Some people use anti-inflammatories if needed, such as aspirin or Tylenol, although I personally avoid both. If necessary, I prefer an herb such as Boswellin which is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Some chemically injured people get severe chills. I have and my body temperature falls to about 96 degrees C. I wrap in warm fragrance free clothing.
- Rashes are common. I have had these and they can vary from mild and localized to very severe full body rashes. My doctor said that a bath in baking soda and oatmeal might help.
- L'Glutamine (an amino acid dietary supplement available in health food stores) seems to solve my hallucinations. I used to see black objects floating by, etc., and L'Glutamine solved that for me. My other hallucinations from pesticides, etc., were helped this way also.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (dietary supplement) helps solve my numbness in the face, hands and feet. It is an antioxidant which seems to bind to the chemicals which cause this peripheral neurapathy. I read once that it binds to a specific chemical found in auto exhaust which causes numbness.
- When I experience hyper-activity, agitation, physical restlessness, I use L'Taurine (amino acid supplement) which seems to resolve this problem.
- Brain Fog can be so severe that a person might get lost on a familar street, for example. I, and some of my friends, have found that the juice dietary supplement 'Noni' helps the brain fog as well as lessens pain. I personally think that taking a couple ounces of Noni before a possible toxic exposure lessens my reaction.
- When I get covered with nickel sized spontaneous bruises, more bioflavonoids (dietary supplement) are in order. The buising seems to happen after physical activity (releasing toxins from body fat) or toxic exposure.
- Rest, in spite of an urge to do more, seems to reduce recovery time.
- Moderate sunshine, or sauna seems to help the body detox and repair. I'm happy with my poplar 3-man Far InfraRed sauna from http://www.hightechhealth.com.
- I think it is wise to lower 'overall toxic load' immediately to help the body cope. I skip pesticides, fragrances, construction projects, poisons, scented laundry detergents, etc. See http://www.lassentech.com/eiprod.html for products which might be OK.
These listings have been gathered from various sources and are presented here with the intent to provide hard won information to anyone whom it may help. If you find that the names, phone numbers, addresses or such are out of date in any way, or you feel there is a significant change or addition which should be made to these resources, please be so kind as to Contact Us.
Disclaimer: We do not endorse people, products or services. We do not give medical advice. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. Please check with health-care professionals of your own choice. I am not a doctor and I do not give medical advice. The author is a chemically injured person who is extremely chemically sensitive (reactive) and who has just had a lot of personal experience in trying to survive chemical insults and toxic exposures.
This page has been accessed times since 10/03/01